We all crave smooth, voluminous hair that moves just right. Salon quality blowouts are hard to achieve if you don't have the right tools and know-how. That's why we asked hair stylist, Teddi Bickers, how to get a salon quality blowout at home so that you can perfect your at home blowout.
- Start by detangling damp hair with a comb or a Wet Brush. Make sure hair isn’t sopping wet by gently squeezing it with a towel.
- Work a blowout cream, such as Joico’s Heat Set Blowout Perfecting Cream, from midshaft through ends. For longer, thicker hair use a quarter size, for medium to shorter lenghts use less. You can always add more if needed. A blowout cream will smooth your hair and protect your hair from heat damage.
- Use a volumizing spray at roots, such as Sebastian’s Volupt Spray.
- Comb product through hair to ensure it’s well distributed.
- Rough dry your hair with either your hands or a paddle brush until 85% dry.
- Grab your round brush (we love Olivia Garden’s NanoThermic line), and section off hair starting with the layers underneath.
- With your concentrator nozzle attached to your blow dryer, direct the air in a downward stream to avoid frizz.
- When sections are finished drying, hit them with a bit of cool air to give added shine and close cuticles. Use a smoothing oil, such as The Oil from AG Hair, to finish your look if desired.
- Holding your round brush in a more vertical fashion will avoid flips in shorter hair.
- Define your part prior to blow drying your top section.
- Pull hair up when you start blow drying your crown. This will amp up your volume.
- Use a shine spray, such as Rusk Shining Sheen & Movement Myst, to tame flyaways.
- End with a finishing mist or hair spray, such as Sebastian Reshaper, to keep your look in place all day.